Beyond the Diamond-- Life Lessons

Many say that baseball is "just a game" and they got one thing right-- it is a game. However, it is SO much more than "just" a game. 

I've had great mentors throughout my life-- parents, siblings, teachers, coaches, bosses, colleagues, and friends... but there's one different than the rest-- not better, not more efficient, not more effective-- but different. That's because it isn't a person. Baseball. From a young age, when I first grasped a baseball or swung a bat, I was being taught valuable lessons that go beyond the field and, at the time, I had no idea. Baseball has taught me many things, so many lessons that help in all areas of life. Now, I am no expert on anything, but where would I be without the things I've learned from... a game?

We've established, or at least I have in my mind, that baseball can teach you discipline, the importance of respect, how to channel intensity into something positive, and passion for something greater than yourself. What else? What other lessons can it those willing to learn?

Work ethic. No one has ever gotten anywhere in this game without a strong work ethic-- without the sweat, the blood, the tears. It doesn't sound glamorous and the harsh reality is that it isn't. The lights shine brightest on the ones who work in the dark.

Character. It may be waning at many levels of our game, but I believe it still matters. And this game will teach it to you. Believe it or not, how you treat people matters. Your approach to intense situations matters. How much you care and love teammates and coaches around you matters.

Perseverance. The game is filled with adversity. It won't always go your way; you won't always win; and sometimes, it's not even fair! I've touched on this before, but it is not so much WHAT happens that matters, but HOW you respond to it that makes a difference! When things go wrong, there aren't many options: A) pout, give in, make excuses, complain, have a loser mentality or B) fight, learn, flush, grit your teeth and get back after it! Not many options, but a huge difference in where you will end up depending on which one you choose! 

Accountability. I'm not spending too much time here because it has a blog of its own down the road! Here's the gist... don't make excuses! Why? Nobody cares.

Teamwork. It's funny (sarcasm) how the best teams have such great chemistry, especially at the amateur level. They love each other and, therefore, they work together. Baseball is and has become an "individualized" sport in some ways, but make no mistake, it is very much a team game. Teams that are on the same page, teams that communicate, teams that pick each other up, teams that encourage one another are teams that have a key ingredient to winning.

Confidence. I've seen kids come out of their shells on a baseball field when it "clicks." There is something about the growth of a person, not just a player, when that player finds something that he/she can be confident in and that leads to success. Just remember, confidence comes from preparation. Overcome fear and anxiety because you have prepared and trust the work that has been put in to being the best you can be!

Selflessness. I've had the pleasure of being a part of some really selfless teams... this year right at the top of that list. None of those teams were the most talented teams, but they played for each other, they played together. It didn't matter who got the credit. It didn't matter who got the accolades. What mattered was each other... and winning. Pick your teammates up when transitioning from offense to defense. When you get out, be the first guy on the top step encouraging the next guy. Have team first ABs... two strikes? So what! Pound the logo on your chest that reminds you that this AB is not for me. Get a bunt down and SACRIFICE for your team. Lay it on the line every time you get the chance. Dominate your role, even if it's not as a starter. Winning baseball games, being successful in any team venture requires everyone accepting and dominating their role. It takes EVERYONE.

What baseball teaches the players, coaches, and fans of our great pastime... it also reveals. The ones tough enough to stick with it through the ups and downs, I have no doubt will be successful in their every endeavor because of lessons learned beyond the diamond.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

True DRIP

Good vs. Willing to be Good

The Dos and Don'ts