Success and Significance
I recently watched a talk from Tim Tebow on the difference and importance of having success and having significance that really spoke to me and made me think about how coaches, leaders, parents, educators, etc. go about what we do on a daily basis.
We talk to our team about success and what that looks like... I have always given the success speech to teams I have coached. We talk about who wants to be successful and then dive into what it takes to be successful (which was touched on in a previous blog). There is individual success and there's team success. Individual success can come in different forms on a baseball field: high batting average, low ERA, quality at bats, high fielding percentage, extra base hit, steals, strikeouts, awards, accolades, etc. What can I do to help my team? Team success can be evaluated in wins, playoff runs, championships, etc. What is our potential and how can we achieve those tangible things?
Looking back, I probably could have done a better job of talking about the significance individuals and teams can have as well-- on and off the field. Our head coach here at Mortimer Jordan High School, Shayne Carnes sees the big picture and does talk to our players about significance. Of course we talk about success and what that takes, but our guys should also understand what significance is and how that looks on a daily basis because we talk about it and we practice it.
Success is great, significance is greater. Both can be achieved.
Tebow defines significance as a life focused on serving and loving other people. I really feel this can be achieved on a field and within a team. If you're a coach or parent reading this, think of how you can have a lasting impact on young competitor's lives. Think of how you can serve those around you. Serving others and loving others does not lack accountability or discipline. As a matter of fact, if you love someone, you'd better hold them accountable and discipline when appropriate. I've never had a problem with disciplining a player or team, never been afraid to hold a little accountability session. What I think and hope I have gotten better at over the years is articulating the 'why' behind that discipline and accountability.
I am and always will be a "tough love" kind of person... in the right moments of course. Players I coached 10 or 15 years ago might say I've gotten a little softer in my old age, but I still believe in those pillars. I just may go about it a little differently... a little. Coaches, parents, teachers, leaders have a tremendous platform and responsibility to love and serve those around them. If you're not taking advantage of that, you're missing the mark. It does not always look like rainbows and sunshine and ice cream when you don't deserve it, but loving and serving is the key. The old adage- they don't care what you know until they know you care, right? Beyond serving and loving, it's also teaching how to love and serve. We've always had a rule in our programs that at the end of practice, before you do anything for yourself, do what is needed FOR THE TEAM. Before changing your cleats or packing your equipment, you need to help clean up the field, pick up trash, make sure everything is in order before you think to do anything for yourself. It's a simple principle to teach service. We have also implemented rules in the past that you need to thank someone before you leave for something they have done for you that day, whether it's a coach, teammate, or teacher. If there is someone who went out of their way to do something for you, assist you, make your day a little easier... thank them. That shows appreciation and love. Trust me- that will stick with someone.
We all want to be successful. That looks different based on where you are in life, what you're doing, your dreams and goals... but we all want it.
Do we chase significance as much as we chase success? If that question slapped you in the face, then you're in the same boat as me!
At the end of every baseball season, after the last out is made, we try to make it a point not to talk about the game that just ended, but we talk about legacy. Every team and every player leaves a legacy-- whether good or bad. But we don't just talk about it at the end of the year, we have talked about it throughout the year. Your legacy is not all about average, ERA, strikeouts, wins, awards, accolades, or championships... it's about how you will be remembered for the way you went about your work. You'll be remembered for how you treated people, how you loved your teammates, how you were accountable to your team, and what kind of impact you had and will continue to have on the program.
To circle back-- if you go about it DAILY with Discipline, Respect, Intensity, and Passion-- then you can achieve success AND significance.
Comments
Post a Comment