Confident Defenders

 As a coach or parent, have you ever seen a fielder who could make outstanding plays when he/she had to range right or left, lay out for a ball, or stick it on the run... but struggle on routine balls right at them? As a player, is that you? If you've seen or experienced this, it probably means one of two things:

1) The player lacks confidence on those balls right at him/her. 

2) Dead feet.

Maybe it is a combination of both.

Here are my thoughts and I am mainly speaking about infielders... on the balls a player has to range for, there is no time to think, just react. Trust and use your athleticism. On balls right at you, many players freeze and lack trust in how they have prepared to make that play. Perhaps they have not prepared to make that play at all and rely fully on the glove being in the right spot at the right time by chance. Fielding a ground ball requires so much more than the ball going in the glove. There is a prep step, footwork, timing, glove presentation, burying eyes, and efficiently getting the ball to a throwing position. Without training yourself to do all those correctly and making it become second nature, the trust or the confidence may not be there. Too many players have dead feet when fielding a ball within the framework of their body. I don't have enough words or the ability to demonstrate this through a blog, so the purpose of this piece is mainly referencing the confidence it takes to be a good defender, specifically on the infield.

What makes a good defender?

Reps in and outside of practice is the obvious answer. The other part is confidence. That comes from three things:

1) Know the situation and what my job is every play, before the play. Understand where I am going with the ball and why. There are several things that could happen on any given play and I need to know what to do pre-pitch what those things are. Ball, Base, Backup, or Be the cut. If I get the ball, make the play. If I don't have the ball, but have a base responsibility, cover the base. If I don't have the ball or a base to cover, I am either backing up a base (even outfielders) or being a cut-relay man. 

2) WANTING the baseball. Have enough confidence that KNOWING when this ball comes to me, I am going to make the play. I speak from experience. I can remember struggling and praying the ball would be hit somewhere else or that the batter would strikeout. WRONG. Want the ball! It wasn't until I flipped that switch that my defense would change for the better.

3) EXPECTING the baseball. I have to anticipate the ball coming to me on every pitch. That is why a prep is important-- to prepare me and put me in a good position to make a play. If I want the ball, I'd better be prepared for it to come to me. 

How many ground balls have you, your player, or your kid ever fielded cleanly? I would hope a lot, too many to count. How many fly balls have you made a play on? How many cutoff men have you hit perfectly? How many throws across the infield have been on the money? If the answer is a lot or more than I can count, then the ability is there! The consistency comes from preparation in doing it right, trusting that preparation, knowing what to do with the ball, wanting the ball to come to you, and expecting it to do so. 

COMPETE with confidence in the field. And as always, do it with Discipline. Respect. Intensity. Passion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

True DRIP

Good vs. Willing to be Good

The Dos and Don'ts